Monday, August 8, 2011

Acceptances, Rejections, and Other Things

Issue Fourteen of >Kill Author is up, and I'm lucky enough to be part of the lineup. My story "The History of Character X" was taken by decomP (September), and "How to Cook Like Jane Austen" by Bartleby Snopes (October) which I'm very happy about.

I've had a lot of good luck with litfic journals, but I can't seem to place anything at a respectable spec-fic magazine. On one hand, Comets and Criminals recently purchased a flash I'd published in Brain Harvest back in September--and I really like the looks of C&C, best of luck to them--but the rejections keep pouring in.

With rejections comes lack of responsibility. I write slower. I'm easily distracted. What really helps return my focus is flash or micro fiction. If I'm having trouble with one particularly long piece, I'll take a break from it and free write, which may or may not turn out to be readable prosetry (or whatever they're calling it nowadays).

I'm about to send out a micro-fic to Word Riot. They have this wonderful section entitled "Stretching Forms", which I intend on flooding with edible, rejectable pieces of prose.

(I've had nearly 30 pieces rejected by Word Riot in the past, most of which I've been lucky enough to publish elsewhere. Their lack of interest in my writing is teasing.)

USM's fall semester is about two weeks away, so I don't have a lot of time to get writing done. No time for workshopping, anyway. It'll be rough. But sometimes I feel it's doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment